Photo by: David Beeler
As a mom, I do play dates; I go to play dates, I host play dates, I would lose my sanity without play dates. And regardless of whether I’m hosting, or visiting, there’s always a certain amount of prep involved: you bring something to the party, or you make sure there is something at the party when people arrive. The first time I had these Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I believe I secretly did a little “happy dance” in my kitchen when I tried one. (After all, you ALWAYS try what you make, before subjecting your guests [or host] to the outcome of your cooking.)
In the past 4 1/2 years that play dates have existed in my life, I have made these muffins to bring, I have enjoyed them because other moms had made them – in short, they’re popular within my circle of Mommy Friends. And…among the members of my family…
The muffins are best when made with fresh blueberries. Frozen blueberries are too moist and would make the muffins soggy. We don’t want soggy muffins. So, fresh fresh fresh! The sour cream ads a certain amount of freshness (and actually, lightness) to the muffins. As I mentioned, they’re perfect to bring to get-togethers, but as a breakfast / brunch treat they are a hit as well. You have the luxury of sitting down around 10am with a cup of coffee, enjoying the silence in your house, soaking up some sun and reading the newspaper? Although that is a completely foreign concept to me, I promise you, these Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins fit perfectly in that scenario. They even taste good, on the go, with a diaper bag over your shoulder, while you arrange your kids in their car seats and frantically drive off to the grocery store. Yep, they taste just as awesome!
So, here ya go! Love love love Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) and this recipe just proves why she rocks my world.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
- 12 tbsp. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 8 oz. (about 1 cup) sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 half-pints fresh blueberries, picked through for stems
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and place 16 paper liners in muffin pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until just mixed.
- Fold in the blueberries with a spatula and be sure the batter is completely mixed.
- The Barefoot Contessa suggests that you scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each cup just over the top. Personally, I use a ice cream scoop and fill each cup for about 3/4, allowing for a few more muffins and for equal sizes without the muffins sticking to each other because the batter spread.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a cake tester (toothpick) comes out clean when inserted in the center.
(Recipe by: The Barefoot Contessa)