Photo by: David Beeler
It looks fresh, it tastes fresh…it is fresh! Oh, and made in 5(!!) minutes. (This first sentence is going to appeal to some of my most loyal readers, I already know it.) I promise you, this broccoli tomato salad is truly made in less time than it takes to boil an egg. I just love these kind of recipes.
Many of you know that I’m not big on frozen ingredients, so the fact that this broccoli salad is all freshness on a plate, makes me one happy camper. The original recipe actually called for frozen broccoli florets, thawed, but why use frozen if the fresh version is available? The fresh broccoli added a whole lot of crunch to the salad, that’s for sure. The cherry tomatoes add a bit of sweetness, and the mozzarella…well, the mozzarella ads texture and a mild and creamy flavor to the salad. Its softness balances out the crunchiness of the broccoli. Maybe I’m over-thinking this a bit here, but it made sense to me when I thought of it.
This broccoli salad is perfect to accompany a BBQ and served with flat bread or a few baguette slices, it makes for a healthy, light and refreshing summer lunch. Perfect for this time of year!
Broccoli Tomato & Mozzarella Salad
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, washed and dried
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh pearl-size mozzarella
- 1/2 cup red wine vinaigrette
- freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together all the ingredients, except the black pepper.
- Divide among 4 chilled salad plates and serve with fresh ground pepper.
- Yep, that’s it! Pretty simple eh?
(Recipe by: Sandra Lee, adapted by Marieke, aka HRH Mommy)