Photo by: David Beeler
Yep, this chicken in basil cream sauce tastes just as good as it looks. It is absolutely delicious (AND easy to make!!). The crispiness of the chicken, the creaminess of the sauce and the little kick that the basil adds – it all adds up to a wonderful dinner. Seriously, crispy chicken, cream, Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs…they just go together.
I served the dish with some spaghetti and really didn’t need additional sauce. The plain pasta compliments the flavors of the chicken and the basil cream sauce perfectly. These days I get a fair share of fresh basil in my weekly produce delivery and though it’s great for sandwiches, as an added herb to salads, this was a great variation on how to use it. It elevates the flavors of any sauce, but well…you add it to cream and melted cheese….need I say more?
So, here ya go! Enjoy and let me know how it worked out! Oh, and don’t forget to serve it with a nice glass of white. A Chardonnay compliments it beautifully I discovered…
Did I mention it’s easy to make?
Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Place the milk and bread crumbs in separate bowls.
- Heat the butter on medium heat.
- Dip the chicken in the milk and coat with the crumbs.
- Cook i the butter on both sides until the juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
- Add the broth to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the cream and boil for one minute. Reduce the heat.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper. Stir the sauce and cook until heated through.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and serve.
(Recipe by: Abundant Harvest Organics)