If you looked these Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes up in the dictionary, it would tell you that they would be synonymous to “Chocolate Goddess Cupcakes”. If you like chocolate, you’ll love these. The original recipe tells you to make these into mini-cupcakes, in which case they would indeed be “truffles in cupcake format”. I made them the regular size, but filled them with the chocolate ganache. That turns them into “Treats straight from Chocolate Heaven”.
This recipe is for the 24 regular-sized filled cupcakes. The recipe is the same for the mini-cupcakes (in which case it makes 48). Just make half the chocolate ganache recipe and don’t fill them.
- 1 recipe Chocolate Cake
- 3 cups Choclate Ganache
- Toppings: cookie crumbs, cocoa powder, chocolate sprinkles, mint crumbles, finely chopped chocolate, etc.
Ingredients (Chocolate Cake):
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chocolate extract
- Paper baking cups
- Combine cocoa and 2 cups boiling water in a large heatproof bowl, stirring until blended and smooth; cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Beat butter with a mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at a low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate extract.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans and spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full. (I use an ice-cream scoop to make sure the amounts are the same in each cup)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and cool completely.
Ingredients (Chocolate Ganache):
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used semisweet chocolate chips)
- Cook the cream in a heavy non-aluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, just until it begins to steam (do NOT boil).
- Remove it from the heat.
- Place the chocolate in a glass bowl.
- Slowly add the hot cream to the chocolate, beating with a whisk until the chocolate melts and the mixture is well blended.
- Divide the mixture in half and let cool a bit, until thickened, but not solid. You want it to still be soft enough so you can fill the cupcakes, but cool enough that it will stay in place once inside the cupcakes.
- Makes 3 cups
- Optional: fill each cupcake with the chocolate ganache. Click here for the How-To.
- Heat the other half of the ganache until warm and melted.
- Dip the tops of the cupcakes in the ganache, gently “roll them around” to make sure the entire top is covered.
- Immediately sprinkle with your choice of toppings to completely cover the tops. (Don’t wait with this, because as soon as the ganache is set, the toppings won’t adhere to it anymore.)
Makes: 24 regular sized or 28 mini cupcakes.
(Recipe by: Jan Moon, adapted by Marieke, aka HRH Mommy)