This side dish screams (and tastes) fresh. Thyme and lemon go incredibly well together and they give the orzo a freshness, that turns it into a light and flavorful side dish. Think BBQ dinner, outside, entertaining. it is easy to make, done in 20 minutes and the result is simply natural and delicious. A great (and much easier and faster) alternative to risotto.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups water
- Pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 2 tbsp. fresh, chopped thyme leaves
- In a medium saucepan, add the stock, water, pepper flakes, and garlic and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the orzo, lower the heat, and simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in lemon zest and thyme leaves.
- Season with salt, to taste, and transfer to a serving bowl.
(Recipe by: Melissa d’Arabian)